Thursday, September 21, 2006

Saturday Hiking

Lots of people believe that Japan is full of cities, that most of it is concrete wherever you go. Actually, from almost place in Japan, except maybe Tokyo, a bit of walking will put you in some type of countryside similar to this video; if you're in Tokyo or in a (large) city center, a 10 minute train ride will probably get you somewhere within a walkable distance for a nice hike.

The reason there is so much open space is because 90% of Japan's population only lives on 10% of the land. I've heard billions of reasons for this, such as the extra land is uninhabitable, none of it, from what I've seen, has been true. There is an amazing amount of flat and mildly hilly, lovely land in Chiba in which there aren't houses for miles around. So really I have no idea why people live so close together except for the fact that the culture is so intent on being very single-minded and together.

3 comments:

Sui Generis said...

Beautiful! reminds me of a hillside shrine I visited in Nagano. And Osaka, and Kyoto, and Nara... the country really is full of magical hidey-places.

grubedoo said...

That was a great video. I love seeing where you live and I miss you and wryguy much.

The Goodfellas said...

ms laurie you should update this thing more :)